Land based Production Operator - Land based production operations involve the management of hydrocarbons (oil and gas) from the reservoir to the initial customer. This in effect means producing, processing and delivering the correct quantity and quality of product and ensuring that all the production systems are operating in the most efficient way. The total production system can be divided into three distinct subsystems: subsurface (wells), surface handling (process facilities), and storage and sales metering (terminal). Production operators are employed under supervision in various aspects of this work.
The Land Base Production Operator Training Program is developed to provide the necessary practical and theoretical framework for individuals working on land base production facilities, or individuals who desire to be employed in land base production facilities. The program offers a wide range of topics such as Defensive Driving, Lease Automatic Custody Transfer, Rod or Beam Pumping and Tank Gauging. This program also engages the soft skills such as report writing. On completion of this program the individual will be equipped for the world of work and will have acquired the necessary tools to excel in the workplace.
Students are taken through theoretical and practical exercises, within the following modules:
- Basic Principles of Petroleum (Sand Control and Enhanced Oil Recovery)
- Safe Systems of Work
- Roles and Responsibilities of an Operator
- Process and Instrumentation Diagrams
- Pipes Valves and Fittings
- Hand Tools
- Lock Out Tag Out and Isolations (Energy Isolations)
- Pumps (Centrifugal, Reciprocating, Positive Displacement Pumps)
- Rod or Beam Pumping
- The Fiscalisation Process
- Lease Automatic Custody Transfer
- Tank Gauging
- Flowing Wells
- Secondary Recovery
- Oil Well Performance and Surveillance
- Operating Procedures
- Handover and Report Writing
- Overview of ISO 1401 Standards
All students will be assessed via written examinations, oral questioning, practical assessments. Successful completion of the program depends on the students demonstrating both the theoretical and practical competencies required in each module.
An Level 4 Land Based Competency Assurance Qualification – Land Based Production Operator, a Computer Literacy Completion Certificate and an NSC Defensive Driving Certificate (renewable after three (3) years) will be awarded upon successful completion
The next cohort of students will be enrolled to begin classes in October 2014 for both full-time and part-time classes.
Full-time classes will be conducted from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm as scheduled.
Friday 13th February, 2015
Deadline for Applications
- Five CXC or GCE subjects, Grades I, II or III, or A, B, or C, including Mathematics, English and a Science subject (Physics, Chemistry or Integrated Science)
- Students with Advanced level subjects will be considered as well
A technician’s diploma in one of the following technician programs is required:
- Electrical Maintenance or EEET
- Instrumentation Maintenance
- Mechanical Maintenance or MET/MEET
- A Journeyman’s Certificate in Industrial Maintenance
- Process Plant Operations