The City & Guilds Level 3 International Vocational Qualification (IVQ) Advanced Diploma in Oil and Gas focuses on the development of the underlying principles and practical skills required in the oil and gas industry.
The qualification is designed to deliver a high level of occupational capability and provide a sound foundation for progression.
The qualification meets the needs of learners who work or want to work in the oil and gas industry and provides a broad background of understanding of the oil and gas industry and the practical skills and knowledge required.
At the end of this program the student will be able to:
- Set up and start up systems for operation
- Function and check systems for operation
- Organize and prepare systems for shutdown
- Isolate and restore plant equipment. The equipment required to complete this unit includes mechanical equipment/plant for isolating and de-isolating equipment.
- Check and uphold health and safety processes and understand the components involved, such as Permit to Work needs, which underpin those processes. The equipment required to complete this unit includes mechanical equipment/plant for isolating and de-isolating equipment.
- Manage emergencies and critical circumstances
- Create, maintain and enhance productive working relationships with the candidate’s line managers, staff representatives, colleagues, customers and suppliers
The qualification is divided into Units. The learner will complete the mandatory core Units 1-6 (Stage One) and then specific additional units depending on which of the four pathways is chosen. More information is given in the downloadable guides at the end of this page. The Level 3 IVQ Advanced Diploma in Oil and Gas Operations qualification will be awarded to candidates on successful completion of the required units for the chosen pathway.
There are four pathways available to candidates, depending on candidate requirements and experience:
- Mechanical Maintenance Technician
- Electrical Maintenance Technician
- Instrumentation Maintenance Technician
- Process Technician
All students will be assessed via written examinations, oral questioning, practical assessments. Successful completion of the program depends on the students demonstrating both the theoretical and practical competencies required in each unit
An Advanced Diploma will be awarded by City and Guilds International upon successful completion.
Secondary school graduates must have the following prerequisites:
- Five CXC or GCE subjects, Grades I, II or III, or A, B, or C, including Mathematics, English and a Science subject (Physics, Chemistry or Integrated Science)
- Students with Advanced level subjects will be considered as well
For the mature applicant (persons over 21 years) experience in the oil and gas industry combined with on-the-job training will serve as prerequisites. A diagnostic assessment in literacy and numeracy will be administered to persons using the mature entry route.